I like eggs, and eggs seem to like me. So, in an effort to find new recipes for my egg enjoyment I ran across Chinese Tea Eggs. Oh my you need to try this out.
6 medium to large eggs
2 tea bags of earl grey tea
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
4 pieces star anise
1 pinch of pepper
- Put eggs in a medium-sized pot with enough water to cover the eggs.
- Bring water to boil, then lower heat to simmer for 4 minutes.
- Remove eggs from heat and allow them to cool.
- Take the back of a knife or spoon and crack eggs evenly all around.
- Return eggs to the pot and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring liquid to boil again, then simmer on very low heat for 1 to 4 hours (longer = more color/flavor), add water if level gets too low.
- Remove from heat, cool, peel shells and enjoy.